Sunday, August 24, 2014

Sunday August 24th/2014

Didn't get much sleep last night but the guy from the repair place called at 7:30 to let me know he was on his way.  He showed up close to 8:30 and had the flat fixed by 8:45.  Wonderful, that's one lot of stress relieved.

Got to the hospital and Aileen, mom's nurse, was relieved to see me.  I asked what was up and she said mom wouldn't take her meds again.  Turns out she crushed them and put a huge lot of them in a little tub of applesauce.  Stupid...  I keep telling them not to crush the damn pills.  They taste like shit and she won't take them but of course, some people know best.  If it wasn't for the fact that mom really needs those medications (her bp meds and pain meds) I'd tell her tough shit.  You were told not to crush them.  But..  I wouldn't do that to mom.

I went into her room and she woke up and smiled!!!  So much better than yesterday so far.  She took the meds for me with a sour face and lots of complaint, lots of water and even coffee but I just kept asking her to take them because they were so important.  She's been awake and talking to me off and on.  She doesn't look so withdrawn either.  And her pain seems to be reduced somewhat.  She's not getting that horrific cramping type pain so often in her tummy from the blood.  Damn that is a slow process for the body to take care of blood in the belly.

I got here at 11:15 am, a bit later than usual but I'm so tired I'm having great difficulty waking up in the mornings these days and didn't get much sleep last night at all.  Even our dogs seemed upset last night. Ligia started barking like mad at me and she normally only barks when someone is at the door.  The puppies were running back and forth like crazy too.  I know they miss her.  I find them in her room a lot looking up at her bed :-(

Since getting here I have yet to see her Dr.  I have to leave at around 4:30 pm to go home and let the dogs out for a while since my friend Ravinder who is taking care of them for us has gone out for the day for an opportunity to see her sister who is in town for a visit.  I will go home and let them out, maybe have a little nap, then come back for a while too.  Then head home for the night around 8:30 or 9 pm.  Another long day.

Back by 6:30 pm and she's still snoozing but did wake up and took a drink of water.  As I sit here I notice that a pill from earlier today still isn't down her.  It's potassium and it's a freakin huge pill.  So they crushed it.  It's still sitting here in one of those little medicine cups and it almost 1/2 fills it!  Another time when she was on this damn thing I literally had to bring my pill cutter from home and cut that damn thing into 20 pieces!  Yes...  no kidding, 20 pieces so she could take it.  I was asked to give this to her but forgot but I know she won't take it like that.  It's bitter and tastes terrible.

If a patient can't take their own medications in here they are so screwed.  So many times I've had my mom so sick she's almost unconscious yet they bring the little medicine cup of pills and say "here are your pills" and then put them on the bed table.  Expecting them to take them themselves.  My mom needs her medications with applesauce and has difficulty holding spoons..  good luck to her.  And they wonder why people don't get better?    stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment