Saturday, August 23, 2014

More about Friday August 22nd/2014

By midday mom was getting very quiet.  Too much hydromorphone as far as I'm concerned.  She is still in a lot of pain too.  Now her blood pressure is starting to rise a bit again as well.  Nothing I want to see that's for sure.  Good news is her blood is clotting well and holding the leak so her blood levels are going up on their own as they need to.  As well, her I.N.R.'s are ok too.

Michelle (the dietician) went looking for her Dr to have him/her talk to me.  Never know who it is.  Turns out it's Peter who looks all of 18.  I swear.  They are either getting younger or I'm getting a lot older.  Anyway, around 6:30 Peter finally makes his presence known and what started as a simple conversation about my mom's pain levels got way off track when he knew better and started getting condescending with me.  This is a bit of how it went:

He looks at her passed out due to the hydromorphone and states “well she looks comfortable and pain free”.  Really?   I wake her up, she’s in a stupor, and he asks if she’s in pain and she says yes.  He asks her where..  she says her back and stomach are in awful pain.  He asks her to put a number to it and she says 10.  Then the poor thing passes out again from the hydromorphone and he says again “she looks comfortable and pain free”.  When I try to talk to him about the fact she’s getting more delusional on all this hydromorphone I get this condescending look and am given a dissertation about how it’s normal for elderly…    bull… it’s not the norm for her, it only happens when she having an infection or when she’s loaded up on hydromophone.  Clear up the infection and she’s spot on again.  Can pass any test you give her.  Can go to her family Dr and discuss her health with him and answer all his questions without any help from me.

so please.........  do not think that seniors are without worth and just because they are old it's ok if they die now instead of later.   asshole.  I left this night with no answers from little Peter.  Only his attitude which I really don't want or need.  Letter time.

Also talked to my family Dr. for a bit.  He called me around 6 pm Friday to see how my mom was doing.  I told him what was going on and he sounded very sad.  He's known my mom for many years and she adores him.  I actually think he enjoys it when she comes for a check up.  She's remarkable and he makes no bones about saying so.  He was asking me if they will let her go home or send her directly to a nursing home.  I told him I have a lot of issues with that.  The new one that she goes to is not attentive to their patients.  They only give her a mat to land on AFTER she falls.  No one ever brushes the poor woman's teeth.  They leave her to linger in her bed all weekend instead of taking her to activities that she wants to participate in.  They don't even dress her until noon for crying out loud so she gets a bit mixed up since she's in her pj's all day.  You can't do that to these people.  She goes every now and then for a weekend so I can get a break but it's never a real break.  I'm there, at least twice a day to check on things and make sure she has what she needs.  They don't even take her to the cafeteria at meal time.  They just take her her liquid diet and leave her in her room.   At least let her socialize a bit. 

It's not a good place to be at all and it's no wonder, having the experiences we have had there, that these old folks roll over and die before their time.  If you are ambulatory or can do things yourself still, you are ok in there but once you need real care..   you'll not get it.  I've actually started to blog a bit about this as well in a blog called "Diary of a Mad Caregiver".

No comments:

Post a Comment