Saturday, August 30, 2014

Saturday August 30th/2014

geez I didn't realize how long it's been since I added to this.  Been really a hectic time for me with my seniors program and mom in the hospital.

Several things have happened, some for the good, some not so good.  On the good side they called my family Dr who convinced them to give her her regular pain meds again so she's in little pain.  Well..  other than the tummy pain  but even that is subsiding some and not constant anymore.  thankfully.  The dietician here has also convinced them to put her on her swallowing medication as well.  So that's another really good thing.  She's still not eating really though.

So on Friday I gave permission to put the ng tube in to feed her and convinced her it was the right thing to do even though she wasn't all that thrilled with it.  They put it in on Friday morning and she was actually ok with it.  :-)  However when I came in in the morning I discovered the nurse trying to give her a supershake.  I told her she's not drinking them and that's why we put the feeding tube in.  So she says...   are ya ready for this??  "oh..  well can you get her to drink it because I crushed her medication and put it in there!!"

I wanted to ask what damn planet she's on...   but I bit my tongue and said instead "why do you think we inserted the feeding tube?"  She won't drink that.  And why did you crush her medications because she won't take them crushed either, they are horrible when crushed.  It says right on her card to give her the meds ONLY with applesauce and intact, not crushed".  She tells me "well I never had her for a patient before".  So I remarked.. "then you don't read the instructions on her chart"???

So now she is trying to give her meds in a drink that she won't drink which is the reason for the feeding tube.  for crying out loud.  Give me a damn break.

Anyway, my mom actually had a good day yesterday even with the insertion of the tube.  She was awake most of the day, talking to everyone, etc.  Was a really great day.

Then I came in here today at noonish and there she is.. all smiles to see me and eyes wide open...  AND NO FEEDING TUBE!!  Turns out around 10:30 am she decided she wanted out of bed and she also pulled it out.  She told me it was a lie... she didn't do it..  a nurse took it out!!  good grief.  So I talked to the Dr's again and they are going to put it back in because she really needs the extra protein and the liquid food for the next few days.  But.. they are also going to put "mittens" on her.  These big puffy mittens that will stop her from pulling on it.    While I'm here watching she can have them off but when I'm gone they will have to put them on her in case she tugs at it.  hoping that's the one and only time she does that.

No comments:

Post a Comment